I stumbled across a book of African masks and I was fascinated by the variety of the designs and the meanings behind them. So, I decided to do a series of paintings based on the pictures in the book.
I used oil paint for these instead of the usual acrylic because I wanted a richness and depth of colour that I felt acrylic couldn't give me. (Since then, my experiments with various little pots I have bought over the Internet have enabled me to reproduce that vibrancy in acrylic, so I'm back to my natural medium.)
Like other series' I have embarked upon, this one was aborted well before it got finished - midway through the African moon mask.